This project is read-only.

Weather.com Dropping Free XML Service

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Bad news for those of us who use this excellent module for our weather info.

The Weather channel has decided to end free access to their XML Data Feed in November (see below).

To continue to access the feed, you must subscribe to their pay API.

Mr. Hine, thanks for providing the DNN community with this module. Do you plan on integrating another data source?

Dear Registrant:

We are writing to you because our records indicate that you are a registered user of the weather.com® XML Data Feed (http://xoap.weather.com.)

As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new subscription service, The Weather Channel® API.

The Weather Channel® API is a subscription offering created by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they can use to power commercial applications across a variety of technology platforms.

Key Features include:
access to the most comprehensive global forecast set available anywhere
white label solution (no logo; no links)
weather data provided by weather.com®
data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
product support for the world wide web, the mobile web, downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable mobile phone / smart phone applications
multi-language support for English, Spanish, French, German, & Portuguese

What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel® API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your access to the weather.com® XML Data Feed will terminate at midnight Eastern time on November 15, 2011. To evaluate The Weather Channel® API as an alternative to the weather.com® XML Data Feed, please go to http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.

If you have questions concerning this notice, you can call The Weather Channel at (770) 226-2329 or e-mail us at theweatherchannelapi@weather.com.

We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.

Best Regards,

Scott H. Zucker
Director, Revenue Management & Optimization
The Weather Channel, LLC
Phone: (770) 226-2329
Facsimile: (770) 226-2966
E-mail: theweatherchannelapi@weather.com
Web: http://portal.theweatherchannel.com

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I found another weather.com feed which we can use while I continue to research another worldwide data source. I just released v2.1.0 which will fix the error, hopefully v3 will be out shortly with providers for multiple data sources.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:37 PM

v2.1.0 fixed my error (Thanks Oliver!), but will it break again on Nov 15th if I don't pay for the subscription?

Can't wait to see v3.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Thanks for the fix and for working on v3.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I just realized that there's no Partner ID or License Key field in v2.1.0.  How temporary is this version?